Tejo Portugal Tours
Tejo Portugal Tours
Hotel pick up and drop off, fresh water on board, visit of the points of interest and leisure.
Meals and entrance fees to the monuments are not included.
55€ p.p. | 5-8 pax | 9h00 – 17h00 | 60Km
Sé Catedral – Castelo de S. Jorge– Miradouro das Portas do Sol– Miradouro da Senhora do Monte – Catedral de S. Vicente de Fora– Panteão Nacional – Alfama – Chiado – Largo do Carmo – Basílica da Estrela – Mosteiro dos Jerónimos– Pastéis de Belém– Torre de Belém– Monumento aos Descobrimentos – MAAT – Parque das Nações
São Jorge Castle
The fortress, constructed by the Moors in the middle of the XI. century, was the last stronghold of the Moorish defense. After the conquest of Lisbon in 1147 by D. Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, until the beginning of the XVI. century, the São Jorge Castle experienced its golden times as place of the court.
The actual name stems from the devotion of the castle to Saint Jorge, the patron saint of the knights and crusaders.
Over time the castle was modified and found itself in an advanced state of ruin during the first half of the XX. century. In the decade of 1940, huge reconstruction works were employed in which big parts of the walls were raised and many of the towers were modified. For this reason, other than what might be expected at first sight, the „medieval character“ of this military complex is due to this reconstruction campaign and not to the preservation of the castle from the Middle Age to our days.
Facing South and with a unique view over Tejo River, the Alfama quarter is one of the most typical and genuine districts of the city, and one of the indispensable touristic destinations when speaking about getting to know Lisbon.
With an area that extends from the Castle of São Jorge until the docks of the tabac garden, it allows its visitors to venture out through its streets and sinuous lanes, from narrow alleys and stairways to fall in love with, and witness one of the best views over Lisbon when stopping at one of its viewpoints.
Cradle of Fado, classified as an immaterial World Heritage, Alfama is especially famous for its Fado houses and restaurants, as well as for its festivities of the National Saints, especially in the night of Santo António from June 12-13.
During this night, its alleys are filled with revellers, and the whole district is perfumed with the scent of roasted sardines that comes from its pubs and restaurants and mixes with the market cries and the scent of basil.
Symbol of the revolution of 1974, at this square the New State (Estado Novo) conceded victory to the soldiers of the Armed Forces Movement (MFA). The ruins of the Convent of Carmo and the fountain of Carmo are still visible nowadays. The Convent of Carmo was reconstructed subsequently to the victory of Aljubarrota, as it was the case of the Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória in Batalha. Big parts of the church were destroyed during the earthquake of 1755 and the following fire.
Location from where the caravels left in the direction of the new world and where the monuments are situated that tell the history of the epic of the discoveries.
Belém Tower and Jerónimos Monastery
UNESCO Word Heritage and two of the „7 Wonders of Portugal“ that have dominated the landscape of Lisbon for 500 years.
Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Discoveries Monument)
Isolated and elevating itself from the wall at Tejo riverside, the Monument to the Discoveries evokes the Portuguese transoceanic expansion and symbolizes a glorious past and the greatness of the work of D. Henrique, driving force of the discoveries.
Pastéis de Belém Pastry
Location where you can taste the worldwide famous and unique Pastéis de Belém. In this manufactory, since 1830 the old original recipe of the Monastery of Jerónimos has been reborn daily.
Baixa and Chiado
Traditional zone of street trading, very cosmopolitan and animated. The Chiado of the XIX. and XX. century asserted itself as a modern quarter of the romanticists, progressives and intellectuals. Here poets and writers, politics and artists, the high society and the bourgeoisie installed themselves and libraries as well as laical academies, clubs, cafés and theaters emerged.
Parque das Nações
Parque das Nações was the designation given to the district that emerged at the location where the World Fair Expo 1998 was realized. This quarter in eastern Lisbon is characterized by a contemporary architecture as well as generous green areas.